The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Article 5 of the EAC Treaty provides for gender equity, gender mainstreaming in all EAC Projects and Programmes, the enhancement of the role of women in cultural, social, political, economic and technological development.
The EAC has signed a financing agreement with African Development Bank with the purpose of providing a framework for cooperation in the implementation of the 50 Million African Women Speak (50 MWS) Platform Project. The EAC Secretariat has further entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with COMESA and ECOWAS as collaborating RECs to implement the 50 Million African Women Speak (50 MWS) Platform Project. EAC is recruiting staff for the Sub-Project Implementation Unit (SPIU).
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat:
Organ / Institution: The Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Project Coordinator
The overall responsibility of the procurement specialist is to implement a cost effective procurement management system including procurement plans in accordance with the EAC Secretariat and African Development Bank guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare bidding documents in accordance with the set standards and procedures
- Prepare and finalise requests for proposals packages and issuing the bidding documents to the potential bidders
- Prepare General Procurement Notice (GPN) and Special Procurement Notices (SPNs) and get them published in local and international newspapers in accordance with the project guidelines
- Conduct all procurements in accordance with the Procurement Plan approved by the EAC and the African Development Bank
- Prepare and update annual procurement plans and monthly procurement status reports
- Compile, develop and maintain information on material and service costs, suppliers and products and ensure safe custody of procurement and disposal records.
- Drafting contracts for procurement of consultancy services, goods and trainings under the project in accordance with the project guidelines
- Ensure implementation and compliance with the provisions of the legal agreements between the EAC Secretariat and the African Development Bank with the Project Operation Manual
- Taking other actions necessary to facilitate the effective and timely implementation of the project
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in procurement and supplies management, business administration, economics, finance, or other related field with relevant training in procurement
- At least 8 years’ experience in executing procurement of goods and consultancy services, and commitment to acquire additional skills needed for the assignment with at least 3 years of experience at senior level .
Skills and Competencies:
- Experience working with donor funded or similar projects highly desirable;
- Knowledge of public procurement law
- Excellent information communication technology skills, including proficiency in the standard Microsoft office applications, statistical software and applications like SUN system, SAP, or Oracles is essential; and
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English.
Education Qualifications and Relevant Working Experience:
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State.
This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
This position under EAC Secretariat is tenable for a contract period of fixed three (3) years upon availability of funds.
The post offers an attractive remuneration.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Tuesday , 24th January 2017.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: vacancies [at] eachq.org
Website : www.eac.int
Application Deadline:Tuesday, 24 January 2017 - 5:00pm
Job Description: Procurement Specialistdisplayed 138 times
East African Community
EAC Close, Afrika Mashariki Road
P.O. Box 1096
United Republic of Tanzania
Tel: +255 (0)27 216 2100
Fax: +255 (0)27 216 2190
Email: eac [at] eachq.org