COMMUNIQUE FOLLOWING THE MEETING OF THE HEADS OF INTERNATIONAL ELECTION OBSERVATION MISSION TO THE FRESH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS IN KENYA
We the Heads of the undersigned international observer missions present in Kenya issue this communiqué on the election rescheduled for the 28th of October.
We note the decision of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to postpone polling in Homa Bay, Kisumu, Migori and Siaya counties, based on article 55b of the electoral law.
We recognise that all citizens have the right to vote or not to vote. We appreciate that the Constitution of Kenya guarantees the right to peaceful demonstration. Citizens have a responsibility to uphold the law whilst exercising their rights.
We therefore urge all Kenyans to refrain from unlawful acts and respect the rights of fellow citizens, including polling staff, independent observers, and others who have a responsibility in the election process.
It is imperative that the security forces provide protection to all citizens and avoid the excessive use of force. We call for full accountability of the security agencies for all actions taken that result in injury and loss of life.
We stand with the people of Kenya in their desire for a peaceful and united Kenya.
- African Union Election Observation Mission - His Excellency, Thabo Mbeki, Former South African President
- Commonwealth Observation Mission – His Excellency, Rupiah Banda, Former Zambian President
- EastAfricanCommunityElectionObservationMission–Prof.EdwardB. Rugumayo, Former Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament
- EuropeanUnionElectionObservationMission–MarietjeSchaake,Dutch Member of the European Parliament
- Intergovernmental Authority on Development Election Observation Mission - Amb. Tewolde Gebremeskel, IGAD Director of Peace and Security Division
- NationalDemocraticInstituteElectionObservationMission–PatMerloe, Senior Associate and Director of Electoral Programs- NDI; and Keith Jennings Senior Associate and Regional Director for East and Southern Africa- NDI
- The Carter Center Election Observation Mission – Don Bisson, Field Office Director- Kenya