New and Renewable Energy
New and Renewable Energy Sources, Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency
The East African Region, like the rest of Africa, is endowed with vast renewable energy resources. However, the most of the renewable energy potential is yet to be exploited. A Scoping Study commissioned by the EAC outlines the renewable energy sources available in each EAC Partner State and the potential projects to develop these resources.
The objective of the EAC for the New and Renewable Energy Sources, Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency sub-sector is to increase the deployment of renewable energy and the adoption of energy conservation and energy efficiency practices. Specific objectives include:
- To promote development of New and Renewable Energy Sources;
- To initiate programmes on Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency;
- To develop a comprehensive energy conservation and efficiency strategy and plan; and
- To develop a Renewable Energy Master Plan.
New and Renewable Energy Sources, Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency sub-sector Initiatives
- Regional Strategy on Scaling-Up Access to Modern Energy Services
- Technical Capacity Building for Small Hydropower projects
- Establishment of the East Africa Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
To get more information, read more about the projects and programmes under the sub-sector